Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bell Jarring

As I embarrassingly dozed off in my literature class, one thing starred right back at me and caught my attention at once. There it was, "THE BELL JAR", in a beautiful and decorative typeface. After searching the web, I found out that the typeface is called, DAVIDA BOLD. It was created by Louis Minott in 1965. There was not too much information on the this typeface or the designer, but I can tell that the style is very indicative of the time. It was created in the sixties, which was an era of political and social upraising, this book took place right before this era, where people were meant to conform (especially women who were domesticated). The main character (Esther) in the Bell Jar, was a girl in her late teens, who refused to be confined by societies expectations. After thinking about the plot and the era in which this typeface was created, I can see why this was chosen for the cover design. Esther's thoughts foreshadow a revolt against conformity and Davida Bold represents the revolution and darkness that would come later in her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment