Friday, December 3, 2010

Annotated Bibliography

1) Berger, Warren. Advertising Today. London: Phaidon, 2004. Print.

This source was used during project one, I was assigned to study the history of advertising, starting in the early Late 19th Century to the early 20th Century. This book helped me recognize the founders of certain advertising styles, however it focused more on modern technologies, so I could not use it that much.

2) Burke, Christopher. Paul Renner: the Art of Typography. New York: Princeton Architectural, 1998. Print.

This source was used heavily when learning about Futura in project two. It helped me find out who Paul Renner was as a designer and how is background influenced his designs.

3) Chappell, Warren, and Robert Bringhurst. A Short History of the Printed Word. Point Roberts, WA: Hartley & Marks, 1999. Print.

This book helped me understand the beginnings of the printed word, starting from the Gutenberg Press. I was focused more on the technological advances in the 19th Century that helped advertising flourish.

4) "CMYK Online Portfolio Members." CMYK Magazine. 2006. Web. <http://www.cmykmag.com/site.cfm?page_id=62&sect_id=7&CFID=823310&CFTOKEN=46251682>.

I used this magazine’s online portfolio database when I was creating my type specimen for project two. By looking at work from other students, I was also to draw some inspiration and follow my own aesthetic.

5) Greenhalgh, Paul. Art Nouveau, 1890-1914. New York: Harry N. Abrams Incorporated, 2000. Print.

For project one, I had to research the art styles of the 19th Century. Art Nouveau was a central style in Europe, this book helped me understand how art nouveau influenced advertising.

6) Hardy, William. A Guide To Art Nouveau. Secaucus, NJ: Quintet Publishing Limited, 1986. Print.

In this source I learned how Art Nouveau came to be, the central artists, and the social scene. I learned how art nouveau influenced all other art forms and became a way of life for the artists.

7) Jury, David. What Is Typography? Mies: RotoVision, 2006. Print.

I got this book very early in the semester from the library, because I was not too sure what typography was. I learned that typography is can create meaning and is so much more than just letters and spaces.

8) Romano, Frank. "Back to the Futura." Analyzing Publishing Technologies 3.8 (2003): 3-5. Print.

This article was kind of deceiving in the title, I though it to be strictly about the typeface Futura. However, this article focused more on how the digital world effected how books, magazines, newspapers, etc. were published. I was interesting helped me understand why Futura is so appealing because of its geometric shapes.

9) Schultze, Jurgen. Art of the 19th Century. New York: Abrams, 1970. Print.

This book gave a great understanding of all the art styles in the 18th and 19th Century. What it means for art to be modern, and how one art movement always was a reaction to the movement before it. How art is very indicative of what is happening socially and politically.

10) Tungate, Mark. Adland: a Global History of Advertising. London: Kogan Page, 2007. Print.

This book has the most I depth history of advertising and it seems to be the only book of its kind. It as the best source I could find that gave me a great understanding of the beginnings of advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment